Popular driving routes in Cambodia
Cambodia, a country with a rich historical heritage and magnificent natural landscapes, offers travellers many exciting driving routes. Here are a few of the most popular ones:
1. Phnom Penh - Siem Reap: This is perhaps the most famous and frequently used route, connecting Cambodia's capital Phnom Penh with the city of Siem Reap, home to the famous temples of Angkor. The road winds through beautiful countryside, rice paddies and small towns. The journey takes about 5-6 hours, but travellers often stop to enjoy the local cuisine or explore small villages along the way.
2. Siem Reap - Battambang: This route allows travellers to explore a quieter and less explored region of Cambodia. Battambang is known for its colonial buildings and natural attractions such as caves and waterfalls. The road is winding and can be an adventure in itself, offering stunning views of the Cambodian countryside.
3. Bonfire Route from Sihanoukville to Kep: Travelling along Cambodia's coast offers the opportunity to see seascapes, local fishing villages and remote beaches. The route starts in Sihanoukville, a city known for its resorts and beaches, and leads to Kep, a place of magnificent natural beauty and exquisite Cambodian cuisine.
4. Travelling around Tonle Sap Lake: Tonle Sap Lake is the largest freshwater lake in Southeast Asia and a vital ecosystem. The itinerary around the lake provides an opportunity to see floating villages, meet local people and observe the unique way of life that has evolved around the body of water.
5. From Phnom Penh to Ko Kong: This route heads to the border town of Ko Kong, which is famous for its pristine rainforest and ecotourism opportunities. This journey through Cambodia's changing landscapes offers stunning views and allows you to explore the lesser-known parts of the country.
Travelling by car in Cambodia provides an opportunity to see the country from the inside out, stop wherever you want and meet the locals. However, it is important to note that road conditions can vary and you should be prepared for unpredictability, especially during the rainy season. Be careful and plan ahead to ensure your journey is enjoyable and safe.